Opossums, or are they are more commonly called: Possums like to inhabit brush piles, tree cavities, other animals’ abandoned dens, attacks, garages, and under houses.
These nocturnal wildlife pests can cause the following damage:
- They are omnivores, and eat birdseed out of bird feeders, pet food (dog, cat, or rabbit) left out for your pets, fruits (favoring apples and persimmons), and grains.
- They kill and eat poultry, such as chickens and ducks, and also game birds such as dove, quail, pheasant. They also destroy birds’ nests.
- Significant damage to homes can be caused by their sharp claws as they try to access dark, safe areas such as crawl spaces, vents, and structures.
- Possums are not adverse to going through your garbage and compost piles to find their meals, and they are messy and unsanitary.
- They can kill and eat other small mammals, even pets such as kittens, small puppies, and rabbits.
- If they do not kill your pet, they can severely injure him/her by getting into a fight with them and cause severe scratches by their incredibly sharp and long claws.
- Significantly, Opossums can carry rabies.