Although they are commonly called Possums, Opossums actually inhabit brush piles, tree cavities, other animals’ abandoned dens, garages and under houses. The following are all the ways nocturnal wildlife pests can damage your property:
- Opossums are known to eat birdseed from feeders, pet food left outside for animals such as dogs and cats, fruits (usually apples or persimmons), and grains.
- These predators not only kill and consume chickens or ducks, but they also prey on game birds like doves, quails, or pheasants. Furthermore, they also destroy any bird nests that they come across.
- Wildlife control specialists say that damage to homes is often caused by animals with sharp claws trying to access crawl spaces, vents, and other structures.
- Although they’re only looking for food, possums often root through garbage and compost, leaving a big mess behind.
- They are known to kill and eat other small mammals, even pets such as kittens, small puppies, and rabbits.
- If you’re not careful, stray cats can pose a danger to your beloved pet. They may get into fights with them and inflict deep gashes with their long and sharp claws.
- It is significant to note that opossums can carry rabies.